Monday, December 10, 2012

Souvlaki with Avocado Tzatziki

Chuck works for a company that specializes in pork.  I felt the need to make something with pork as the protein the first time I showcased my skills.  It was August 9, 2012.  I had a softball game that night but we figured we had plenty of time for dinner first.  So I found a recipe, one that required a barbeque grill, which I didn't have.  My parents told me for my upcoming graduation they would get me a grill and patio furniture.  So I spent the day prepping the food, getting the grill, getting it home, finding furniture, setting it up.  Then I had a problem.  The grill I bought was going to directly plug into the natural gas outlet from my house.  No one in Boise had the conversion kit.  No one.  So I altered the recipe, cooked inside, and enjoyed it with a cold beer on my new patio furniture.



Pork Souvlaki                                                                                            8/9/2012
1                       Lemon, juiced
¼ c.                Olive oil
¼ c.                Soy sauce
1t                     Dried oregano
3 cloves          Garlic, crushed
4 lbs                Pork tenderloin, cut into 1” cubes
2 med             Yellow onions, chopped into 1” pieces
2                      Green bell peppers, cut into 1” pieces (I used 1 red, 1 green)

Directions
1:  In a large glass bowl, mix together lemon juice, olive oil, soy sauce, oregano, and  garlic.      
2:  Add pork, onions, and peppers.  Stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
      3:  Preheat grill to medium/high heat.  Thread pork, onions, and peppers onto skewers.
      4:  Lightly oil grate.  Cook for 10-15 minutes or to desired doneness, turning skewers 
frequently for even cooking.

Our notes:  I didn’t have a grill at the time so I just sautéed it all in a large skillet on the stove, no skewers.  Placed this delicious mix into pitas and topped with avocado tzatziki (recipe below).




Avocado Tzatziki                                                                                           8/9/2012                                                                                                                       
              1 lg                           Avocado
              2 cloves                   Garlic
             1                                 Lemon, juiced
             ¼ c.                          Sour cream (Optional) – I used 6 oz plain Greek yogurt
             ½ c.                          Cucumber, seeded and chopped
             ½ t.                          Crushed red pepper flakes
             1 T                             Chopped, fresh cilantro
            1 T                             Chopped, fresh mint


Directions
                1:  In a medium bown, combine the avocado, garlic, lemon juice, sour cream (yogurt), and cucumber,  Mash with fork until smooth.  If your avocado is not quite ripe enough you may want to use a food processor.

                2:  Season with red pepper flakes, cilantro, mint, salt, and pepper.  Mix well.  Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving


Our notes:  I didn’t even attempt to mash with a fork.  Straight to the food processor!
 




No comments:

Post a Comment